Monday, July 25, 2022

"The solution is to offer a vision of a better future"

How to Talk About 'Extreme Weather' With Your Angry Uncle
What if everybody else is just as terrified to discuss climate change as I am?

NASHVILLE — Articles on how to talk about the warming planet with climate skeptics always thrust me into a state of mild anxiety. I live in Tennessee, where the governor professes not to understand what's causing the country's extreme weather. Right-wing pundits on the airwaves and right-wing trolls on social media dominate what passes here for public discourse on climate. Republicans funded by obscene oil profits keep doing the industry's bidding.

In this context, it's easy to assume that climate skeptics are everywhere. Even in the country as a whole, only 1 percent of voters identified climate change as the most important issue we face.

Though I write often about the environment, and specifically about climate change, I almost never discuss the subject with across-the-aisle friends and family. Just thinking about it makes my heart speed up... Margaret Renkl

No comments:

Post a Comment