Friday, August 28, 2020

A Tale of Two Books - A Critique of Anthropocentric Environmentalism

Going through this weeks reading, I was struck Rolston's argument that environmentalism preservation had an intrinsic value.  Most of the circles I run in tend to view environmentalism through the lens of stewardship (a moderate anthropocentric view).  While I don't have a hard firm understanding on the boundaries of moral standing in regards to ecosystems and wildlife, I do believe that maintaining the world around us is intrinsically valuable.  To argue that we (as humans) ought to preserve nature to simply milk more resources from nature seems (to me) to be remarkably arrogant and self-centered.  

The best way I can illustrate why I find the anthropocentric  view distasteful on a personal level is best illustrated by comparing two of my favorite books from my childhood: Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen and My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George.  In Hatchet, the protagonist is an airplane that crashes into the Canadian wilderness.  He has to survive until rescue arrives.  Comparatively, in My Side of the Mountain, the protagonist runs away from the city to live in the Catskill mountains on New York.   Both books discuss and explore the beauty of nature, but through different lenses.  Hatchet is a story of man overcoming nature, while Mountain is a story of man living in harmony with nature. Both characters recognize that nature is harsh, but in Hatchet, nature is a puzzle to beat like a level in a Bear Grylls video game, while in Mountain, nature is seen as beautiful and worth enjoying as-is despite the difficulties.  

A anthropocentric approach to environmentalism feels very much like the protagonist's approach to nature in Hatchet. Nature and man have a rivalry-like relationship--butting heads in a mutually beneficial fashion.  However, the character in Hatchet is seeking to escape the wild and return to the comfort of civilization.  There is this underlying assumption throughout the book that civilization is better than the wild beauty of nature.  The protagonist simply sees nature as means to an end, that is, means to leave the wilderness behind.

Therein lies my issue with this mindset: this world is our home.  There is no escaping earth (space colonies aside).  I'm not whitewashing life here on earth; there are environmental disasters we must address as well as natural calamities that wreck havoc.  In My Side of the Mountain, the protagonist must learn how to cope with the harsh realities of foraging and northern winters, but he does so by joining the circle of life--not beating it.  

“See that falcon? Hear those white-throated sparrows? Smell that skunk? Well, the falcon takes the sky, the white-throated sparrow takes the low bushes, the skunk takes the earth...I take the woods.”

-Jean Craighead George, My Side of the Mountain  

P.S. I know it seems like I am highly critical of Hatchet, but the book is a Newberry Honor winning book, and I highly recommend both Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain, they were both childhood favorites of mine.

By Gary Paulsen Hatchet (0002-) [Hardcover]: Amazon.com: BooksMy Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) by Jean Craighead George



This Week's activity:

- Wrote essay

- Commented on Ed's post

- Added additional DQ's

2 comments:

  1. It's good, Levi, that with these two stories you frame the tension between Deep Ecology's feeling of identity with and relatedness to nature AND our inevitable struggle to coexist in a world that is fundamentally indifferent (but not personally hostile) to our fate. Nature doesn't TRY to kill us, nor does "she" try not to. It's never personal, except from our end. But connecting and identifying with "the only home we've ever known" is surely one of the conditions of our survival. We know nature can carry on without us, but not we without her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you accurately described the themes of these book, and I'm left wondering if the authors intentionally worked around these themes of man vs. nature or otherwise. You mentioned the author of one of the books naming a character Thoreau, so I imagine there was conscious effort regarding humanity's interaction with nature in that book. However, for the other ('Hatchet', I believe?), I can imagine the author was merely trying to tell an exciting story. This makes me want to go back and analyze all the media I consumed as a child to try and glean what insights I gained from them. Did Pokemon inspire me to be one with nature? It's entirely possible..

    ReplyDelete