Thursday, May 10, 2012

Advice for a Recovering Environmentalist

Paul Kingsworth calls himself a "recovering environmentalist."
"I withdraw from the campaigning and the marching, I withdraw from the arguing and the talked-up necessity and all of the false assumptions. I withdraw from the words. I am leaving. I am going to go out walking. I am leaving on a pilgrimage to find what I left behind in the jungles and by the cold campfires and in the parts of my head and my heart that I have been skirting around because I have been busy fragmenting the world in order to save it; busy believing it is mine to save." Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist | Orion Magazine
 I understand the sentiment and the appeal of walking away from activism and the human world in general, from the presumption and hubris that we're really up to meeting the environmental challenges of our time. But if we don't save the world, who will?

So I say: walk away for an hour or a day or a week. Walk away for an hour every day, a day every week, a week every quarter,  Renew and recharge yourself. But come back, Paul. Come back, America. Come back, world. We have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment