Wednesday, December 12, 2012

This Is Morgan Speaking.......

This is Morgan speaking.  Any use of the pronoun I refers to Morgan and not to Professor Oliver.  Our views are very different, please do not mistake mine for his.  Thank You-

Final Blog Post Over Our Personal Ecotopia

     Being the cynic that I am it was difficult to take Ecotopia seriously.  Harder still was trying to come up with my own version of Ecotopia.  Some much within the book frightened me.  Their negative view on producers, wealth, and private property, their lack of difference to a Higher Power, as well as the destruction of the nuclear family and their rearing of children all made me shudder.  And of course their flippant use of abortion and complete lack of value given to human life in all its forms was disgusting.  Not to mention their silly emotional outbursts and amoral sexual practices both of which just plain got on my nerves.  But in spite of all this I do appreciate the author's efforts to use imagination and out of the box thinking to present the reader with other avenues of thinking, another possibility to life.
     Seeing as all semester I have read and discussed the materials given in the course, I want to extend a challenge to all of you to practice the same willingness to examine views outside your own.  While I have no personal Ecotopia, or any desire to invent one, Ecotopia did remind me of another author who put forth an ideological vision of what man and society is and what it could be.  In my favorite book, Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand presents her vision of the ideal man.  Her novel could be seen as a direct response to the quote from Ecotopia that, "...mankind...was not meant for production..." ( pg. 47 Kindle version).  I dare all of you to read her novel and then think for yourself as to which principles hold more truth.  In hopes to tease you toward such ends I will leave you with a passage from Atlas Shrugged.


"Productiveness is your acceptance of morality, your recognition of the fact that you choose to  live- that productive work is the process by which man's consciousness controls his existence, a constant process of acquiring knowledge and shaping matter to fit one's purpose, of translating an idea into physical form, of remaking the earth in the image of one's values- that all work is creative if done by a thinking mind..."  from Atlas Shrugged

And one more just cause...

"So you think money is the root of all evil?...  Have you ever asked what is the root of money?  Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them.  Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value.  Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force.  Money is made possible only by the men who produce.  Is this what your consider evil?"   from "The Meaning of Money"  from The New Intellectual by Ayn Rand


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Morgan, for the disclaimer and for your indulgent sufferance throughout the semester. You often asked if we saw what you were saying, to which I often answered internally: yes and no. Yes, I see where you're coming from. No, I don't agree. But that's cool. Who wants to live in a conformist mental world? And there's our plot of common ground, I guess. Both our "ecotopias" will include spirited dissent from all sides. However...

    "Complete lack of value given to human life in all its forms" - Huh?

    And I don't guess it will surprise you to learn that I am contemptuous of Ayn Rand. I student challenged me a couple of years ago to read more of her. I did, and discovered that she systematically misunderstood/misrepresented the philosophers I most admire ,especially James & Dewey.

    But let's call truce for now. Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, Cheers, Peace Love & Philosophy to you and yours! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some old thoughts on Rand, if anyone's interested... http://osopher.wordpress.com/2010/11/05/rand/

    ReplyDelete