Monday, February 3, 2020

MTSU Honors Lecture: "There is a tomorrow"



Climate change honors lecture from Osopher


Dean Fischer (Basic and Applied Sciences) thought I may have been too optimistic. My response:

I often share a deep pessimism about the future, reflecting on the lapses of the recent past. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to encourage young people to "panic" in the face of the daunting obstacles before them. I'm a devotee of William James's "will to believe" idea, the notion that in dire circumstances requiring a heroic response - the climate crisis is certainly that - it's crucial that agents believe in their own ability to effect change. That's why I cited Michael Chabon's confident response to his little boy's query about the future existence of humans. But you were right, those of us who came of age in the 70s have plenty of cause for a lack of confidence... I side with Mark Twain: “There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist, except an old optimist.”  (So I don't call myself an optimist, but a meliorist.)


https://mtsunews.com/honors-lecture-series-climate-change-2020/

No comments:

Post a Comment