Saturday, July 10, 2021

Displacing the human: "The Overstory”

After a Hard Day’s Writing, Michael Pollan Likes to Unwind With a Novel “Getting to read fiction purely for pleasure is the carrot I hold out for myself as a reward for the work of reporting and writing.”

...

What’s the last great book you read?


“The Overstory,” by Richard Powers, is a book that, the further I am from reading it, looms larger and larger in my imagination. My über-subject as a writer is our species’ engagement with nature, and in “The Overstory” Powers has done something no one else has done (outside of science fiction): Displace the human in favor of other species in a realistic narrative about people and the natural world...


https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/books/review/michael-pollan-by-the-book-interview.html?smid=em-share

No comments:

Post a Comment