Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Questions Oct 20

PH -191 Food; Presentation Kelsey

1. Do you think you have "lost your taste"? 171 Have you taken steps to regain it? Do you consume too much "junk"? Do you view eating as an ethical act?

2. Do you do anything in particular at home to avoid or rectify food waste? 173

3. Have you begun deliberately to eat fewer processed substances and more plant-based alternatives? 175  

4. Have you localized your diet, to greater or lesser extent? Do you or will you patronize CSAs?
177

5. Should public schools be fast food-free? 179 Should MTSU get rid of, or at least improve the nutritional contents of, vending machines on campus?

6. Does the Cobbs' story remind you of Wendell? 180

7. Are you grateful for the decommodification of coffee, beer, and other products? 181 Are you boycotting any Big Commodity products?

8. How do you feel about ants and other insects? Do you use insecticides, biocides, weed killers etc.? Do you resent the failure of early education to impress upon every student the vital role they play in ecosystems?

 



9. Do you think restoring the American chestnut is a good idea, without the frivolity or uncertainty of restoring extinct animal species? 187

10. Was Oliver Burkeman right? 189

11. COMMENT?: "We must either let some eating habits go or let the planet go." 191 






2 comments:

  1. 3. Have you begun deliberately to eat fewer processed substances and more plant-based alternatives? 175

    Yes, during quarantine is when I began to take the time and think about what I was consuming and how it made me feel. I use a plant based butter or olive oil when I cook, I consume plant-based milk, and I'm currently about to start growing microgreens and herbs as I got a modest greenhouse for my birthday this past year. I'm at a point in my life where it's becoming glaringly obvious just how much intentional consumption matters, especially regarding food. In 20 years I hope to have my own garden that sustains me and my honey as well as an established compost area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5. Should public schools be fast food-free? 179 Should MTSU get rid of, or at least improve the nutritional contents of, vending machines on campus?

    I definitely think public schools should be more healthy especially considering rates of food insecurity, a lot of children only eat at school so if what they're eating is all junk food then they're more likely to develop diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure/cholesterol, and more. Regarding MTSU, I think there's a nice diversity of healthy vs not with restaurants on campus. However, between the pod markets and vending machines, there's work to be done. Not only are they stocked with a majority of highly processed/unhealthy foods, but also they are more convenient to access and better spread out through campus so students are more likely to stop and just "get something quick" rather than go to the Farmers Market or something.

    ReplyDelete