Friday, December 9, 2016

Before the Flood PT 2. *Sorry for lateness. Wanted to share for educational purposes even if too late. Link to film included


So, for my second installment about Before the Flood, I’m going to talk about how the movie show us the moral responsibility we hold as humans to make active movements toward supporting the environment, why we’re facing such opposition on the issue (although I know everyone in this class already knows why), and a little hope for the future.
Before the Flood highlighted some devastating results of climate that I had not thought about it and it just made me think: Don’t I have a moral responsibility to these effects? If I know there are fellow humans out there suffering, even if I am separated by land, and I also know there is some action I can take to prevent their suffering, then I morally responsible for doing so. For example, China manufactures for the entire world. They make A LOT of products that we use in our everyday lives. I know we’ve all seen “Made in China” tags on things. I’ve seen those tags more than I’ve seen “Made in USA”. That being said, China is also the largest contributor to CO2 in the entire world. But it’s because they are making things for other countries, like ours. The movie showed people living in China that have to wear masks to go outside. They have to protect themselves just to go out into the world. Some people were describing their fear of getting cancer just from breathing in the air around them. Can you imagine putting a mask on your child to go play soccer outside? It’s devastating. Not to mention the psychological understanding that these kids have to have. They were born into a world where the air they breathe is not suitable for them to live without protection. And some know the reason they have to wear masks is because an old man wants to keep profiting billions from oil and coal. I feel guilty when I hear facts like this, I feel like I’m living in an illusion and when I am told about children in China wearing masks to school, illusion is shattered. Another shattering fact I learned from the movie is that there are millions of people without simple electricity. Right now, I sit with Wi-Fi, my phone is charging, I have a lamp on, my Christmas lights are strung up around my apartment, glittering with electricity. My feet are receiving cozy warm air from a heater. There are humans, on this planet, at this time, that does not have access to ANY electricity. Mind blowing. For some reason, I tend to unconsciously think that everyone has the privileges that I do. Until I am reminded that I am so so wrong. There were some interesting statistics provided. Every human in the USA using electricity is equivalent to 64 humans in India. 64 humans use the same amount of electricity as ME. But if we had renewable energy technology, there is no need to connect to a grid. A tribe in Africa can have their own power without needing cables that connect to some more-fortunate city. Once we make the transfer to renewable, everyone can enjoy free energy FOREVER. It’s a textbook perfect solution. The perfect answer: Free energy from the sun! Forever! So why haven’t we switched yet?! Well, the movie makes a few valid points on why renewable energy is facing such opposition. Sadly, the main reason is greedy, selfish mindsets. Money-hungry humans. The fossil fuel industries organize fear. They buy out the senate so that no environmental bills can be passed (A name I recognized was Paul Ryan, but they list a hefty list). Then the people who have sold their morals for a check speak out against climate change with false statistics and facts. As Dr. Michael Mann said in the movie, “They do not need to win scientific debate, they just need to divide the public.” THIS IS THE TRUTH. Dividing the public is key for these monsters. I feel the same can be said with the police brutality stories. There are definitely other factors going on, but who do you think benefits from dividing the public vs. the police? Not us, that’s for sure. Anyway, James Inhoffe is a chair on the Senate Environmental Committee, and he is the largest fossil fuel recipient in the senate. Suprising, right? These men are simply bought out. What we need is a society with a little more backbone, hopefully our generation can change that. Our two biggest oppositions are money and ignorance. People simply do not KNOW enough about this issue. The information is out there, sure, but I think once the public is informed of the truth, even money can’t overcome that. Leonardo says, "The truth is, the more I learn about this issue, and everything that contributes to the problem, the more I realize how much I don't know about this issue." I think that's how the public generally feels. We've all heard the terms and we know that it's oil and electricity and so on. What we know is the tip of the iceberg. That's all I knew before taking this class. Now I feel much much worse about the issue, but at least I know the truth. When the public knows the truth, about our dying populations of wildlife, about our rainforests turning to dust, that children in China wear masks to play outside, that our species WILL be gone in a few hundred years if we don't drastically change our ways is when things will change. As President Barack Obama said in the documentary, "Reality has a way of slapping you in the nose when you're not paying attention. The public is starting to get with the science, in part because it's indisputable." Dr. Michael E Mann said in the film, “You give people the data, you empower the people.” People need to be educated, and informed, fast. Then we can unite and work together, that’s when we will see progress. Those fossil fuel dinosaurs can be beat, it’s just going to take persistence and force. I have hope for us. I think everyone should. If we lose hope, we’ve already lost.

** IT IS SO WORTH YOUR TIME TO SEE THE FILM. I cried. Twice. It recharges you while also reminding you that we are in dire circumstances.  Here is a link to the entire film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1kU7Rc9c4

4 comments:

  1. http://envirojpo.blogspot.com/2016/12/a-call-to-action.html#comment-form
    I commented on T-rex's post- here is link

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://envirojpo.blogspot.com/2016/12/final-blog-post-part-1-human-nature-vs.html?showComment=1481329238861#c2667389997161728145

    Here is the link to where I commented on Jesse Brandon's post. Thank you Dr. Oliver- it was SUCH an educational semester. This class changed my life no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good fight, Madelin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

    It has been said that any bettor needs to see this,

    Watch this or quit placing bets on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software

    ReplyDelete