Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Human Nature to Preserve or Survive?


For my second part of this report, I would like to discuss how human nature effects the way we treat our environment. The ultimate question is: “Is it human nature to survive or preserve ourselves?”


Why human nature could be simply to survive –


I hear the phrase, “It is human nature to be selfish,” quite often. This phrase tells me that human nature could be based off of the idea of survival instead or preservation. We want what we want for our own benefit but not for the overall existence of our species, from this perspective, right? Well, this is about the only thing that can help fit this part of the argument, because I have a personal belief that it is human nature to preserve.


 Why human nature is based off of preservation –


We are not completely selfish beings. We know how to be selfless. We reproduce in order to bring more of our species into the world. We take care of others purely out of wanting to take care of them. Do we not also do this for our environment, knowing we will be creating a better tomorrow for the future of our species? I believe this to be so. Not every human is one in the same, but I believe we all come together in order to preserve our species.


Whether or not we become mostly selfish or selfless individuals depends on many different external factors. However, I believe the external factors can be what corrupts our true human nature to take care of ourselves, and the environment, appropriately.

2 comments:

  1. So that's why I couldn't find your 1st installment.

    Human nature is fluid and evolving, we have to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do seriously hope that we can evolve past our hunter-gather-esque perception and eventually aim to conserve and preserve; rather than promote primitivism and other such selfish practices.

    ReplyDelete