Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Omega Glory

After talking yesterday about the 10,000 year clock and the investment in our future it symbolizes, I recalled Michael Chabon's essay "The Omega Glory." It concludes,
When I told my son about the Clock of the Long Now, he listened very carefully, and we looked at the pictures on the Long Now Foundation’s website. “Will there really be people then, Dad?” he said. “Yes,” I told him without hesitation, “there will.” I don’t know if that’s true, any more than do Danny Hillis and his colleagues, with the beating clocks of their hopefulness and the orreries of their imaginations. But in having children—in engendering them, in loving them, in teaching them to love and care about the world—parents are betting, whether they know it or not, on the Clock of the Long Now. They are betting on their children, and their children after them, and theirs beyond them, all the way down the line from now to 12,006. If you don’t believe in the Future, unreservedly and dreamingly, if you aren’t willing to bet that somebody will be there to cry when the Clock finally, ten thousand years from now, runs down, then I don’t see how you can have children. If you have children, I don’t see how you can fail to do everything in your power to ensure that you win your bet, and that they, and their grandchildren, and their grandchildren’s grandchildren, will inherit a world whose perfection can never be accomplished by creatures whose imagination for perfecting it is limitless and free. And I don’t see how anybody can force me to pay up on my bet if I turn out, in the end, to be wrong.
That's what I was trying to say, when I said it's intuitive to me that if we care about our children, about the next generation, then it's a small next step to care about the long-term fate of life on Earth and about all generations. That's the bet we take, when we have children. And we do all have children. They're all ours, we're theirs. We're all in this ship together.

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday or today is the anniversary of the National Park Service - 100 years. They have identified 4 main things they need to to consider for their survival gong forward: 1 - climate change; 2 - relevancy; 3 - over crowding; and 4 - funding. I heard a piece on NPR this morning on the On-Point segment an it may be available on the NPR website - about 4 minutes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian, I just got a notification from Facebook about the 100 years of the National Park Service. And thanks for these four identified! And of course climate change is the first.

      Delete
  2. It's a short and strong conclusion about how climate change has a deep and strong effects on our life, not only on this generation but also the next generations too. As he mentioned, our children is such a great example to show how we have to take an action toward this crisis and to take care about the long-term fate of life on Earth and about all generations. I believe that we have to look out of the box, I mean out of our own life. We life together and we have to work together to improve, protect and safe our land "The Earth".

    ReplyDelete