Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Greetings

Hi all. My name is Scott. I'm a returning student determined to finally obtain that shiny badge of completion on my collegiate quest. I'm a psychology major, focusing primarily on adolescents, applied behaviorism, and cognitive behavior therapies, especially as opposed to psychopharmacology. My minors are mental health services and philosophy. That being said, I haven't really decided what I want to be when I grow up. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

I initially ignored this class entirely because I don't really consider myself an environmentalist or even find myself particularly concerned with environmental matters in a conscious way. If I were an environmentalist, I would be a hypocrit every day. However, it is being brought to my attention repeatedly that the things I am interested in are not really that far removed from the concepts encompassed by environmentalism and perhaps I have defined it too narrowly. A brief and incomplete list of those random things that I find myself pondering: community, consumerism/minimalism/capitalism/tribalism, -isms in general; social dynamics, sustainability, civilization, heirarchy, class, food sources, health, connection, education, other ways to live... Those things dovetail much more readily into the other aspect of the course, activism. But I don't really consider myself an activist either. I have activist thoughts and activist yearnings but not really activist actions. I've been called an apathetic activist on occasion and unfortunately must admit that this is true. I am also admittedly more ignorant on the facts of environmental issues than I would care to be. I am hoping that this class will help rectify both issues to some degree.

I think the simplest way to describe the connection I see between the environment and issues of social justice is to say that in some ways we are the environment. Environmental issues are not always confined to THE ENVIRONMENT but also the various individualistic environments of our societies and communities creating layer upon layer. Because of our inherent entanglement with those environments how we interact with our world is also how we interact with one another. I see it as a sort of sociocultural environmental psychology. That's my perspective, I may be entirely wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment