Friday, October 16, 2020

Midterm blog post

 "Do you think the 'human game has begun to play itself out,' or do you believe we will avert the worst imaginable outcomes of climate change in the century ahead? If so, how? If not, why not?


Shannon: Today I’m joined by Robin Attfield, Hope Jahren, and Bill McKibben to discuss the issues and impacts of climate change. Thank you for joining me. First, I want to start with a question that seems to be on many peoples’ minds. "Do you think the 'human game has begun to play itself out,' or do you believe we will avert the worst imaginable outcomes of climate change in the century ahead? If so, how? If not, why not?”


Jahren: Thank you for having me. First, “Most political discussions of climate change are predicated on the hope that this may be reversible; the truth is that it may not. Ultimately, we are endowed with only four resources: the earth, the ocean, the sky, and each other. Because absolutely everything is at stake, it behooves us to begin by thinking clearly and simply.”(14) This does not mean that we can’t succeed. In regards to your question, “Absolutely. I do believe that there is hope for us.”(171).


Shannon: What made you come to this conclusion? With all the fires that are occurring, and the sea levels rising, and the vast amount of air pollution that is happening all around the world, how do you stay hopeful that humans really can reverse the damages we have already done? 


Jahren: That is a great question. Looking back in history is all we need to see many examples of why "I am hopeful because history teaches us that we are not alone.”(171). “The succeeding centuries did bring unfathomable solutions to even the most intransigent of these ancient plagues, and though the solutions came far too late for many, they were not too late for all.” (171). I have careful optimism about the future and  I am hopeful that we can come together to combat climate change. 


Attfield: I agree with you Mr. Jahren to an extent, but future generations will be greatly impacted by catastrophic issues such as droughts, hurricanes, floods, and wildfires. “Thus, the ethical case for strong and concerted action to mitigate climate change, to foster adaptation where it is irreversible, and, where possible, to compensate its victims is unanswerable.” (109). I certainly think that humans have the ability to change. But I am hesitant to guarantee this.


Shannon: I would definitely agree with your views Ms. Attfield. I have a hard time remaining hopeful that humans will  make a meaningful impact mitigating climate change.  Mr. Mckibben, I have read your book and I read that you said climate change will not be solved without a society. Will you expand on what you mean by this?


McKibben: Absolutely. A single human cannot just change the world. But with many humans, we have the ability to take care of our earth. "The human game is a team sport. If the anti government conservatives are right instead, and individuals are all that really matter, if “there is no such thing as society,” then we do not stand a chance. We won’t be able to mount a real common effort against climate change.” (242). 


Shannon: I think that is a great point of view. We are all in this together like it or not, and while change starts on an individual level, it is through team action that we will make meaningful and lasting change. I want to say thank you to Bill McKibben, Robin Attfield, and Hope Jahren for joining me in this discussion today. I hope that listeners at home will consider these points and make meaningful change to help our team's efforts. 



1 comment:

  1. "Mr. Jahren"? "Ms. Attfield"? There must be more to this story!

    ReplyDelete