Friday, October 16, 2020



What will our planet look like in the next century?

 

ME: Hello everyone, I hope you guys know why we are here tonight! Right, to talk about of and when our planet will go down the drain…. All of you have made specific and valid points in your books to support your ideas on this topic. I would love for you to share and give us an inside on your thoughts! So, do you think the human game has begun to play itself out or are we able to prevent the worst-case scenario and make the world a better place than it is right now?

 

ATTFIELD: In Chapter 3 of my book I talk about future generations and the moral of all of this. “Why care about future generations?” is to be connected with the questions of how much we care about the present and our immediate family and their lives. (Attfield, 29) “The harmful practices I have in mind include carbon-based energy generation. […] Deforestation destroys key habitats of wild creatures and aggravates the problem of carbon emissions.” (Attfield, 38) “The disposal of toxic substances in the current world is all too often achieved by dumping them on waste-tips in developing countries or in the poorer districts of developed ones” (Attfield, 39)

 

ME: I especially agree with the last thing you are saying, especially when it comes to Climate Change and Global Pollution, it is rich and powerful countries that are using their influence and superiority to make other less developed countries pay the prize. Too many times we see that the actors that are least responsible, are the ones that have to suffer the most. Mrs. Jahren, what is your opinion on the situation of our planet?

 

JAHREN: Like I explained in the first chapters of my book, there is a lot of evidence that our planet is decaying. We might not be able to see if every day or in our life, but the environment is already changing. I am touching on several different topics in my book including Food Production and Consumption, Energy and our Earth in general, as well as the things we can do, to our planet better. The question I ask the reader is “Do you want to live in a more equitable world with a brighter future?” (Jahren, 177) I encourage people to think about their daily actions and think about the little things that they can change in their daily life that would help our planet get better. 

 

ME: I like the way you are approaching the topic, because it does give the reader a lot of facts at the beginning that are really compelling and then you ask the individual on how they can make an impact. A lot of people believe that their actions will not make a difference, but if everyone does their part there is definitely a way. What is your opinion about that Mr. McKibben?

 

MCKIBBEN: In my book I look at both sides, the things that have already happened and that are contributing to Climate Change and also the things that can still save us. I believe that “Climate Change is far advanced, and the march of some of these new technologies seems as rapid as it is unregulated.” But I also see Mrs. Jahren’s point and agree that “no one knows that it is impossible, […] there are “tools and ideas that might help us keep global warming and technological mania within some limits and, in the process, keep the human game recognizable, even robust.” (McKibben, 191)

 

ME: I definitely think it is not too late, but there is also a lot unknown. This video from the NASA is visualizing Climate Change and Global Warming and I would like to hear more about how you think we can actually make an impact and how likely you think it is that we can turn this thing around? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rvl6z80baI

 

ATTFIELD: At the end of my book I am talking about commitments that have to be made, not only on a personal level, but also from social groups, countries and inter-governmental organizations. One of them is the Paris Agreement that was made by the United Nations in 2016. It certainly “relies on national commitments, [which] will each need to allow for the contributions of the wildlife of the relevant country, and of predictable changes from trends in farming and forestry.” (Attfield, 120) We know that President Trump withdrew the United States from that Agreement, as soon as he came into office in 2017. Exactly, these actions from leaders of countries that are most responsible for the Climate to change, are what make me think that there is not enough hope. I think we are already at a point where citizens need to be pushed in the right direction, so they do things differently and if a president goes in the other, they will follow. That is just one of the reasons why I think that the planet might not get better anytime soon. 

 

ME: That is a really good point, in Europe, there are government plans in place, that encourage people to do certain things. E.g. more funding and financial support if someone decides to buy an electric car or laws that ban plastic bags and other plastic utensils, so people are forced not to use them anymore. Either the government provides alternatives, or the individual will find some themselves, but they will not do so, if the change is not demanded.  https://time.com/5560105/european-union-plastic-ban/

 

JAHREN: I do think there is a lot we can do, but I also think not a whole lot for us to stop it. “Extinctions are part of the natural course of action on planet Earth.” […] “The first reason for today’s decline in species is the simple, and widespread, loss of habitat; expanded cities mean fewer places for plants and animals to live.” (Jahren, 158-159) I think there is a bigger picture on what is happening in our world, but us humans, are also so technologically advanced right now, that there are hundreds of ways how we can reduce our carbon footprint. A few of them I am talking about in my book! I do not know if we outplayed ourself, I think we have a chance to go either way, only time will tell which direction it will be. 

 

ME: Yes, that is very correct. I was very intrigued by the last part of our book, the Environmental Catechism. I am someone who needs these hard facts, not only do I like to support my opinion with numbers, but I also think short, important bullet points can have a very strong impact on people. 

 

MCKIBBEN: Just like Mrs. Jahren, I like to focus on the individual’s decision. We can decide to listen and do certain things, or we can decide not to do that. We can acknowledge our wrongdoing or just be lazy and do nothing. The thing is, we need to change what we are doing right now, wrecking “Earth as we have known it, killing vast numbers of ourselves” (McKibben, 255). In fact, no one knows if we will make the right choices, because as much as the four of us might advocate the topic and talk to people, it takes every one of us to change something. This is why I do not think that us humans are capable of doing it. “I rather suspect we won’t – we are faltering now, and the huma game has indeed begun to play itself out.” Not only Global Warming tells us that, but also the fact that we tend to be selfish creatures, looking at our phone more than the environment surrounding us. 

 

ME: A very scary but honest and true picture you are drawing there Mr. McKibben. Of course, I hope it will not be like that and we can actually make a difference. Thank you for coming out here today to discuss this and let’s hope we can make the world a better place and influence as many people as possible on our individual journey we have on this earth. Any last thoughts from you guys?

 

JAHREN: I would like to end with the last words of my book: “In most ways, we are just as noble and frail and flawed and ingenious as the people who cured and dared and built and forged centuries ago. Like them, we are ultimately endowed with only four resources: the earth, the ocean, the sky, and each other. If we can refrain from overestimating our likelihood of failure, then neither must we underestimate our capacity for success.” (Jahren, 189)

 

MCKIBBEN: Thank you for having us here, I also am the founder of the environmental organization 350.org, if you want to check that out. https://350.org

1 comment:

  1. "...they will not do so, if the change is not demanded." Indeed. The great obstacle to effective leadership on climate and much else in the US is the libertarian/individualist bias against government mandates.

    ReplyDelete