Thursday, October 22, 2020

The "Professionally Jaded Left"

     Though I understand his point, I disagree with some of the criticism the McKibben has of the "professionally jaded left" (196). He argues that a viewpoint of jaded submission does no good for the cause. That it works in favor of these corporations' actions. And he isn't wrong. Swearing off politics because you think there's nothing to be done to help is a self fulfilling prophecy. This does, though, discount those of the "radical" left who do work and organize and fight for a better world. McKibben's preference, he says, is "useful naïve outrage". What he is encouraging, therefore, is a reactionary movement that would hopefully result in reform. If enough people are shocked and outraged by the actions of a company or whatever it may be, the pressure created would launch reform to make sure these things do not happen again. He wants a reaction. Which is fair. Where I find issue is that he seems to equate the left's jadedness with a lazy resignation from the fight. I think the approach to this is off.

     I am a cynic, at least in the sense of not being shocked when heinous things are done by the elite. When another oil company spills oil in our ocean, when another thousand square miles is taken from Indigenous people and/or species, when we refuse to switch to ethical means of energy, I am not shocked. I, too, say "Of course they did". But not being shocked does not mean I am not fighting. I'm not shocked because the system was created to uphold these acts of violence against our world and ourselves. Of course the elite do not care about the interests of the people. They are not the people. I expect to be let down by our current structure. I, in response, work to fix what I feel is the root of these issues. I may not boycott Exxon or post a hashtag that supports a reform movement, but I organize and I fight and I work to help the working class and those affected by the state. And I don't think that this approach is too jaded or cynical in any way.


Weekly points

This essay

Comment on Ed's post

5 comments:

  1. I think you're highlighting a difference of rhetorical tone, and that what he's advocating is not "reactionary" but reactive, under the guise of faux-naivete. I'm sure McKibben applauds the organizing and working and fighting you do, and would not call it jaded or cynical. Those terms are reserved for those who've withdrawn and tossed in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to point out that in your article you feel more like it is only the left that are jaded, but I would disagree in that some of the right political side also feel jaded in how our society has turned out as well, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit it dead on! I remember reading a Pew Research paper back in the spring that discussed that Americans as a whole are exhausted by the amount of news and the quality of news (I'll go look for the article). The status quo often creates a sense of powerlessness: gerrymandered districts and electoral colleges ensures that most elections are not competitive; wealthy lobbyists and interest groups ensure that their agendas get pushed through; and it it can seem like our world is run by Twitter "influencers." It doesn't seem like there is much an individual can do. Thus, there is a natural tendency to toss in the towel and turn once more to our bread and circuses.

      Delete
    2. Link to the Pew Research article: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/02/26/almost-seven-in-ten-americans-have-news-fatigue-more-among-republicans/

      Delete
  3. I agree with you Betty and also with Tyler, in saying that not everyone of the left that is doing a lot more than others is considered jaded and also that you can say the same thing about the right.
    I think your engagement; Betty, is great and I think it is far from cynical! It is never wrong to stand up for what you believe in and I wish more people would do that. Of course, that goes for both sides, even if we would wish the far right would just shut up about their opinions..(excuse me) I think in today's society it is so easy to get caught up in opinions and getting pushed in a corner, especially through Social Media. Almost anything can go viral or be taken out of context.

    ReplyDelete