Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Conversations Around The Dinner Table

I've talked a lot about my opinion on how we can use messaging to our advantage. I am realizing that my view on how to go about this has been a bit too cautious, considering the emergency situation this climate crisis is. So, while I still believe finding compassion and patience for the other side in order to better understand their point of view is important (to later bring them over to our side), I want to place a greater emphasis than I did before on the need for a strong, blunt, and honest stance regarding what the problem is, where it comes from, and what needs to be done about it. We shouldn't fear stepping on people's toes when we are simply telling the truth. With that being said, how do we use conversation to get more people on our side? Well, who are we talking to?

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, meaning many of us will be hanging out with family/friends (either in person or over Zoom). If your family is anything like mine, where there is food there is lively conversation, or even debates, about current events. These conversations with close family and friends, if done tactfully, are often the most important opportunities we have to make a difference. We usually don't go around talking about our political, social, or environmental views as freely with strangers or acquaintances as we do with our close social circle. It is in these conversations where opinions are shared, and sometimes even changed. If you have someone in your life who is a climate skeptic, it can be tricky to find that balance between urgent messaging and patient listening. I found this opinion article on CNN today about exactly how to do this, which I found helpful for myself so I thought I'd share. According to geologist and Yale Climate Connections writer, Karin Kirk, here are a few tips (Which I have summarized and added my own reactions to):

1.  Understand your own motives. Why is this important to you? Why do you need to share this information? What do you want this person to do with this information? Sorting this out can help your message be clearer and can help to avoid reaching a dead end in a conversation when we only argue about the science and the facts of climate change. 

I think getting our facts in order for a conversation is really important, but I also agree that reflecting on the root of our motivations to fight climate change can help steer the conversation toward something much deeper and more moving—such as wanting to preserve the natural beauty of the earth, or wanting future generations to inherit a habitable planet. These kinds of conversations touch the heart, which is where we just might find common ground. 

2.  Persuasion is not the goal. Instead, it is the side effect. Treat the conversation like an opportunity to connect and hear what the other person has to say. 

I like this point. By telling someone that I am interested in hearing what they have to say, I have found that they often return the favor. No one likes to feel like they are being preached at, but they do like to feel heard. I like what Kirk said about persuasion being a side effect of a well executed conversation.

3.  "Don't spend too much time arguing with people that you're never going to change their mind." 

No need to summarize that point! While I think it is possible for anyone to change their mind, it is up to the person whether or not they are willing to in the first place. And some people really have made up their minds about climate change, and simply won't hear what we have to say. So, I get what Kirk is saying here, especially when we can spend time having productive conversations with people who are just on the edge of our side or at the very least willing to hear us out.

I may have harped too much on conversation/messaging this semester, but I really do think it is our most powerful tool in our fight against climate change. What would you add to this list? Any tactics you have learned in your climate change conversations with people? 

----


Weekly Summary:


11/25—This blog post

11/24—Comment on “Leave No Trace (Final Presentation and Essay)

11/22—Comment on “The Value of Hope - A Message for My Classmates”


Grand Semester Total: 67


4 comments:

  1. "“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” But you can still break bread with them (remotely maybe), exchange pleasantries, and find common interests and common ground. And be grateful for them, foolishness aside. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are good points to remember. It can be all too easy to come off as preachy and not see things from another perspective. A conversation is always better to have than an argument.

    ReplyDelete