Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Wildlife Conservation

    In the United States there is a problem with private ownership of exotic animals to be exploited for personal profit.  The main problems according to conservation groups are cub petting and breeding exotic animals to sell them to private owners.  I personally disagree with the notion that cub petting is something that should not be done, because it can be used to help pass legislation that would help protect wildlife animals and the land that they live in.  Also, I disagree with the National Geographic’s claim that cub petting is a bad thing due to the fact that their concerns regarding both the mother and the cubs themselves can be easily rectified, and I see cub petting as a way to make so that exotic big cats are more associate with humans better than the normal practice that most zoos use.  As for breeding animals to sell for profit I have no problem with banning such practices and prosecuting those who commit such felonies much like what was shown in the Netflix series “The Tiger King”.  I would also like to point out that there has never been much enforcement of preventing people from selling tigers, by either the federal or state governments as far as I know which has led to somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 tigers being trafficked in the United States.  Also, Kara Norton wrote in her article about cats in captivity that a lot of these cubs when they stop being profitable are disposed of in any number of ways.

I have also posted on Levi's and Carolin's post.  I should also have 40 points total this semester.



4 comments:

  1. Isn't there also a wider issue as to the ethics of keeping exotic animals in zoo-captivity generally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you bring that topic up! I honestly have a very strong opinion about Private Ownership, Circuses and Zoos. As a kid, you are always so excited to see all these animals and being able to be with them so close. As I grew older, my perspective definitely changed. I think that none of these animals really belong in Western Countries and should not be here. Of course, there are rescue animals and I do think that one Institutions are doing a good job of trying their best to make this as homey as possible. In the end, there are still cages though, nothing like their usual habitat in parts of Africa, or wherever they are from. Yes, if otherwise they would have died I think there is some kind of justification. When I think of young animals or cubs, they never had the change to experience wildlife like they should.
    Circus is obviously a whole different story, as they are forced to do tricks and whatsoever. That is just wrong on every level.

    This link shows what circuses have been doing instead and I think it is pretty impressive
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Feducateinspirechange.org%2Fnature%2Fanimals%2Fgerman-circus-uses-holograms-instead-of-live-animals-for-a-cruelty-free-magical-experience%2F&psig=AOvVaw1S2q8CAzCiCNuy8AXZB4mM&ust=1605827360551000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNiH3qCbje0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally just wish that human beings could leave exotic animals alone in their natural habitat. We really have to business taking them out of their wildlife environments. I understand that a huge reason why we do is to make sure they do not go extinct by way of poaching/hunting in general. I just wish that it could be a world wide awakening to demonetize exotic animal hides, horns, claws, etc. so people could once and for all just leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the exception of organizations rescuing exotic animals, I don't think people should be able to own them. It shocks me that some people can privately own some of these animals here in the first place. To me, there is a clear distinction between wild animals (especially endangered ones) and pets.

    ReplyDelete