Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Should We Bring Back the Minimalist Movement?

     For the record, I only have an outsider's perspective on the minimalist movement. But I have noticed that the movement seems to have died down in the last few years, after gaining tons of popularity. I have some suspicions as to why. I noticed that somewhere along the way, the minimalist movement took a turn for the worst, turning into an interior design trend very quickly. Like any fad, it didn't take too long for another trend to take over (specifically the farmhouse chic trend). Unfortunately, this shift in focus seems to have missed the mark of what I think was the original intention of the movement—to simplify one's life in our modern, materialistic world. 

    I wonder if it's time to bring this movement back, but this time holding true to what minimalism is really all about. After all, simplifying our lives may be one of the most powerful ways to combat climate change. But could a movement like this, without the trendy furniture, really capture the interest of the masses? Is there a marketable way to sell a philosophy to the American people, that doesn't involve merchandise? I sure hope so, because it would be really nice to see our country reevaluate our "more, more, more" mindset and find contentment with what we already have, not only externally, but internally as well. 

    At its height, did the minimalist movement appeal to you? What does simplifying your life mean to you? I’d love to read what all of you have to say!

----

Weekly Summary:

9/30 Wrote this blog!

9/29Commented on Questions Sep 28

9/29Commented on Questions Sep 28


Grand Total: 30 points

3 comments:

  1. "Small is beautiful"-

    “An attitude to life which seeks fulfilment in the
    single-minded pursuit of wealth - in short, materialism - does not fit into this world, because it contains within itself no limiting principle, while the environment in which it is placed is strictly limited.” ― E.F. Schumacher, Small Is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered

    "Simplify, simplify. Instead of three meals a day, if it be necessary eat but one..." Thoreau (Fortunately it is NOT necessary)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the course of the pandemic I have given in to boredom and curiosity and downloaded Tik Tok. I trend on the app I have seen is of people buying school buses and biggish vehicles and creating them into tiny homes. The video series typically range around 20 1 minute long videos showing people how they make these tiny homes. I saw the bulk of these videos around mid July but haven't seen them very much at all since. I have a theory that people have plain and simple gotten bored with this lifestyle. I think of the people building these homes as similar to me. I think they saw the videos(in their case built the home) and when they were done thought to themselves "meh, that's that" and moved on to something else. I think perhaps in the minimalistic movement people with little money are the people that should be practicing this lifestyle but I think wealthy people who can afford to try out this method of living are the people actually doing so, and eventually getting bored of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think minimalism is one way to simplify your life, but another is to just make the things you do have last as long as possible. My parents have only had three cars in my lifetime. They bought a van before I was born and kept it for 14 years, had their second van for 15 years, and replaced it with another van, which will probably last them another 15 years (hopefully). I think if you eliminate things you don't need from your life, and take good care of the things you do need, you can make them outlast their "planned obsolescence", and also help reduce your footprint at the same time.

    ReplyDelete