Monday, September 7, 2020

Week Three Essay – Spinoza’s God, the Milesians, and the Connection of All Things

In Dr. Oliver’s Atheism and Philosophy class I made a video presentation on Spinoza’s God. The name comes from Albert Einstein, who, when asked if he believed in God, replied “I believe in Spinoza’s God.” For the record, so do I. The God of Spinoza is nature, alone. There is no supernatural. There is no creator. The universe is but one substance, which is infinite and indivisible. All that we see in the physical world is simply a modification of that one substance, and mode of expression of it. We and the trees and the birds and the bees and the streams and the rocks are all a part of this One. We are a part of nature, of God, not apart from it, and share a connection with all things.  (If you’d like to see my presentation, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npSgQPq5Nfw)

“God” is an ambiguous term, which we by necessity define for ourselves. We (many of us) personalize our god, as a way of relating to Him or Her. We think of Him or Her as wanting something for us, of wanting us to behave in a certain way. So, as a believer in Spinoza’s God, I ask, what does She want of me? What She wants is for me to live in harmony with nature. That’s how to live a good life, and find blessedness, the peace that passes all understanding, shalom, Islam, nirvana. She wants me to use my intellect to understand the world; to accept the causal mechanisms of nature, and act in accordance with them. Reason, rational thought, will provide me with clear and distinct answers to my questions about life.

Acting in accordance with nature can be restated as God’s purpose for mankind. We all see our god differently, but all gods require harmony with nature for the peace they promise. Living in harmony with nature is what the gods demand.

In Ancient Philosophy class, we are studying the Milesians, the first philosophers; Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximenes. The conception of an Absolute principle of unity in the universe, which is deeper than any of the special forms of existence, was the earliest form of Greek philosophy. It began with the search for what was abiding in the flux of things. What is the source, the first principle, of all things? What is the permanent reality which underlies the diversity and change of the visible world around us? The Milesians had different answers, but they all shared the belief that all things, men and birds and trees and rocks, have a common element. One way to make sense of the world is to see it as having a common underlying reality – a connection between all things.

Reading chapter seven, I can’t help but feel that appreciating nature, and protecting and preserving it, requires, if not a religious conception, a mythological one. I love the quote from Black Elk (p. 105). “We should understand well that all things are the work of the Great Spirit. We should know that He is within all things: the trees, the grasses, the rivers, the mountains, ….” Thales, based on Greek mythology, supposedly said that "all things are full of gods." Myths convey ultimate truths.

Weekly Participation Summary

09/07 This weekly essay post

09/07 Comment on Levi’s essay on stewardship

09/08 Comment on Heather’s Post – You Can Make a Difference

09/09 Comment on Kathryn’s Post “An Economic Solution …”

09/10 Comment on How Wm James Can Save Your Life

Week Three Point Total – 5

Three Week Cumulative Point Total - 15 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed our Zoom discussion of Spinoza today, and do hope you're right that his system allows enough freedom of self-directed attention to liberate us from fatal necessity. I worry that attending to our preferred thoughts when we might instead attend to others may be as far as it goes for Spinoza, whereas for James that's just the beginning. To complete the circuit, attentive thought must connect to willful action and the possibility of alternatively-directed outcomes in the "open and pluralistic" universe. Otherwise, the freedom in question is an intellectual affair -- the freedom of understanding and acceptance in the face of implacable fate, an internal freedom of attention unmoored from events in the world.

    But never mind the metaphysics of free will; it's enough that we find sufficient motive, in whatever philosophy we avow, to affirm a sense of responsible relatedness to the rest of nature. If Spinoza works for you, to that end, then I endorse your Spinozism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The danger for someone like me lies in the littleness of my knowledge. I in fact know very little about Spinoza or James at this moment in time. I find hints in what I do know that appeal to me, and I (perhaps) rush to connections and conclusions that appeal to me that I may not reach if I had a more complete understanding of their thought. It's great that a beginner like me has a seasoned philosopher like you to guide me as I ponder these things and help me not go too far afield.

      Delete